Hello everyone!!

Introduce yourself here
Amblypygi
Hatched right out of the egg
Hatched right out of the egg

Hello everyone!!

Unread post by Amblypygi » Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:09 pm

I found this site from CS, like a lot of people here. I'm excited to watch it grow and develop and see what happens! (I am Catsplat18 on CS, but I want to change my username to the one on here, Amblypygi.)

If you are curious, Amblypygi is an order of arachnids that basically includes all tailless whip scorpions (sometimes called "whip spiders"), which should not be confused with whip scorpions (Thelyphonida, or maybe Uropygi depending on how you classify them), which in turn are extremely different from true scorpions (Scorpiones). Amblypygids look very interesting and perhaps a bit scary, but they are completely harmless. I know someone who has a few as pets, and I really, really want to get some, but I cannot find a reliable source online (the only ones I can see right now are captured from the wild, which I do not condone) and reptile expos (reptile expos usually also have invertebrates for sale) are cancelled because of the pandemic.

I plan on getting a Damon diadema or Damon medius, as these are relatively large and I like their coloring, but species of other genera would be fine, too, perhaps a Phyrus (small, dark, and cute, but I'd really love a larger one). The most amazing one is sometimes found online, usually under the name "Malaysian tailless whip scorpion," and it is black and gets huge, but I have no idea how to figure out the scientific name, and it's rarely ever available (I've seen it on one website and once at a reptile expo).

While I don't have a tailless whip scorpion, I do have a true whip scorpion, a giant vinegaroon (Mastigoproctus giganteus), which sprays a fine mist of acetic acid (vinegar, hence the name) when disturbed but is otherwise completely harmless (I'm not irritated by vinegar, so it's completely safe for me).

So that's just an explanation of my username, lol. I don't mind the fact that the website is still in development; I'll be content posting in the forums for now. But it looks great so far!
She/Her | INTP | Slytherin | Scorpio | True Neutral | Pansexual

Doggos_on_Mars
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tagline: My hands are really cold
Mood: Nervous

Re: Hello everyone!!

Unread post by Doggos_on_Mars » Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:46 am

Hi there! Welcome! I'm super excited to have you here with us!

Thank you for blessing me with all of this new knowledge about arachnids! (I know, I know, my excessive use of "!" is a bit distracting)

Anyway, like you've said we're still in development and all we have is forums, but feel free to post, converse, communicate only through memes, whatever you'd like! I've also approved two of your posts so you should have free range of posting now.

Enjoy your stay!
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Doggos | she/her
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Oblivion
Well-known
Well-known
Tagline: When life gives you lemons
Mood: I like bunnies

Unread post by Oblivion » Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:20 pm

HI, welcome! I'm Oblivion, call me whatever. :) Nice to see someone join.

I come on every now and then, I don;t always post. I'm winstalgia on CS. ^^

Wow, I never knew any of that about arachnids or stuff, that's all interesting, thanks. Hope to see you around more, <3!
winstalgia#1031
Call me: Steven
"Soon you shall become Steven (2000 posts), then Stephan, the fancy Steven (3000 posts), then Stefani, much like Gwen (4000 posts). No one has ever achieved higher than Stefani." -Purple. 5/6/19 (link)
Artist - INFP T

Red
Well-known
Well-known
Tagline: Local cryptid

Unread post by Red » Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:05 pm

Oh wow, almost would have given you a Ravenclaw instead of Slytherin there. Welcome to SF! I gotta say I ain't too well versed in arachnids, but it was definitely interesting to read all of that. You mentioned that whip spiders are different from normal scorpions which are different from whip scorpions. May I ask what those differences are?
Imagex

ᶜᵉᵒ ᵒᶠ ᵐⁱⁿᵉᶜʳᵃᶠᵗ ᵈⁱᵃᵐᵒⁿᵈˢ