Artist | he/him | lio/leo/lioyote

Oblivion
Well-known
Well-known
Tagline: When life gives you lemons
Mood: I like bunnies

Re: Official SF Casual Chat Thread - V1

Unread post by Oblivion » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:48 pm

I hope everything works out fine with you, Elle. Do you any tips/advice when it comes to songwriting though, on another note?

I've actually noticed that I'm only online when I'm feeling happy.
winstalgia#1031
Call me: Steven
"Soon you shall become Steven (2000 posts), then Stephan, the fancy Steven (3000 posts), then Stefani, much like Gwen (4000 posts). No one has ever achieved higher than Stefani." -Purple. 5/6/19 (link)
Artist - INFP T

Blu
Site Admin
Site Admin
Mood: busy

Unread post by Blu » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:42 pm

look at the page number hehe

may i join the invader zim cult
i finally got around to watching the netflix movie and boy it was good

also, @ the 291 thing, most likely a swarm of bots
i just updated the site to disallow some of the creepier/bad ones
Need help with Shibaface? Feel free to PM me or a staff member!
I go by they/them pronouns.
I am slightly forgetful, please resend PMs if they're important!
___

Outside of SF, I enjoy fursuit making, drawing, and video games!

Milk
Well-known
Well-known
Tagline: wataei canon
Mood: tired & gay

Unread post by Milk » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:28 am

Ooooo Blu made a reference to bad number page number
Also ew more IZ cult crap
btw ive had this ranpo icon for like 2 years and ive only seen like 2 episodes of bungo stray dogs

gabrielle
Well-known
Well-known
Tagline: why do i consist of almost 10% of all the posts on this website
Mood: i love my life !!!

Unread post by gabrielle » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:23 pm

@oblivion-
not sure if i have any advice for you since i’m not a very good songwriter myself, but i guess i could tell you my process.

normally i write music when i’m feeling emotional, so the words come to me first. i normally do the chorus first. once i get a draft for the chorus’s lyrics down, i create a melody and work off of that.

once i finish the chorus, which is usually what i refer back to for any thematic threads in the song, i work on the lyrics for verses. when i create the lyrics for the verses, a tune that works as the melody comes to mind and i go with that.

after i have the lyrics and a melody for most of the song, i work on the chord progression. this part is really simple if you’re familiar with the key you’re in and which chords fit in that key. i would say for a beginner, writing your song in c major/a minor or g major/e minor would be the easiest. there aren’t many accidentals to worry about when playing the song, and it’s easier to figure out a chord progression when you’re familiar with the chords you’re potentially working with. that kind of depends on the instrument though. writing songs on the piano is a lot easier to me than writing songs on the guitar since the chords are a lot easier to visualize on the keyboard than the fretboard.

once i have a chord progression, i find ways to put my verses and chorus together. do i want a bridge? an introduction? an interlude? maybe a key change? i usually do all of that instrumentation once i have a basic melody and chords down.

and that’s pretty much it! when i start recording, i experiment with different instruments to help facilitate my sound or the vibe i’m going for. i like to stick with piano or guitar as my lead because it’s simple, but experimentation is part of the learning process.

hope that helps?? the songwriting process is different for everyone, but this is generally what works for me.
elle • she/her • esfp
☼ scorpio ☾ leo ↑ taurus

i love the sun,
but in the dark of night,
let me learn
the wisdom of the moon

Oblivion
Well-known
Well-known

Unread post by Oblivion » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:42 pm

@blu ~ not to speak for Star but I don't think you need permission to join the lovely Zim cult. And either way, I'm sure you'll be welcomed anyway. Welcome!

@Elle ~ thank you! It seems fun to write a song, and I like making up tunes on my guitar and keyboard. Mainly guitar. (: But yeah, thanks! I figured I should put my capricious self to use. Last night I was super pissed at everything and everyone, but just hours before that I feeling head over heels and imaginative. But I had some ideas for songs.
winstalgia#1031
"Soon you shall become Steven (2000 posts), then Stephan, the fancy Steven (3000 posts), then Stefani, much like Gwen (4000 posts). No one has ever achieved higher than Stefani." -Purple. 5/6/19 (link)
Artist - INFP T

Milk
Well-known
Well-known
Tagline: wataei canon
Mood: tired & gay

Unread post by Milk » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:36 pm

One time in school about 2 weeks ago for our Friday elective we had to make a song. My voice was going out that day but i did it anyways and i made a pretty banger Minecraft song. This other kid did too and managed to sneak in an inappropriate verse at the beginning of his song w/o getting in trouble which i salute him for lol.
The teacher thought it was a good song which is weird because my teacher hates a lot of things and probably has never played Minecraft before so like ig it was just a good MC song.
btw ive had this ranpo icon for like 2 years and ive only seen like 2 episodes of bungo stray dogs

Red
Well-known
Well-known
Tagline: Local cryptid

Unread post by Red » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:14 pm

Oh, yeah. Forgot to adress that. Blu, you're 100% in the cult. Anyone is welcome! But remember; once a cult member, always a cult member.

Imagex

ᶜᵉᵒ ᵒᶠ ᵐⁱⁿᵉᶜʳᵃᶠᵗ ᵈⁱᵃᵐᵒⁿᵈˢ

Oblivion
Well-known
Well-known

Unread post by Oblivion » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:34 pm

I went dress shopping with two friends and my Sister and I found a dress at the last place I went to! It's bright red with one silver part. (It looks better on me than on the floor)

I'm so excited! I'm even more excited for the dance because I guess I have a dentist appointment a week before so my teeth will be white and clean (am I weird? Lmao)
winstalgia#1031
Artist - INFP T

Red
Well-known
Well-known
Tagline: Local cryptid

Unread post by Red » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:47 pm

You're matching with Dave now ^^

vv is that post long? why did it take so long to write? sTopped typing and left whAt is this
Imagex

ᶜᵉᵒ ᵒᶠ ᵐⁱⁿᵉᶜʳᵃᶠᵗ ᵈⁱᵃᵐᵒⁿᵈˢ